Monday, August 2, 2010

The Two Social Media Tea

My friends keep asking me what are the differences between Twitter and Facebook, so I reckon this is a good chance to explore the difference between these two social networks and why people use them.







From the comparison, both Facebook and Twitter have different functions. However, if your friends ask you whether you to choose either only Twitter or Facebook, what would you choose? …well, the same old answer would be, it depends on your tastes and preferences.

In my opinion, people that are more likely to choose Facebook are (and I personally fall into this):


1. “Cool”
2. Business people, university students, young adults (simply any age)
3. Looking to update and build connections within groups of friends
4. Looking for more interaction and engagement
5. Promote themselves through photos and videos


And for those people who are likely to choose Twitter:

1. “Geeky”
2. Looking for news and trends
3. Looking for innovative channel for chatting
4. Updating with their personal interests i.e. Hollywood news
5. Write a blog or diary for sharing or private


However, in the marketing sense, if the marketers are able to utilize both Twitter and Facebook within their marketing plan, I believe that this will give them a better chance for a successful their marketing campaign. These are two very different marketing platforms and what works on one of them might not work in the other. Facebook can never out rule Twitter or vice versa.

If anyone has other ideas, feel free to share or comment.

Teacup


Source:
ezinearticles
Brian Solis



3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't call Twitter "Geeky". I am using both Facebook and Twitter regularly and they give totally different "feel". Facebook is more of a private thing for me, where I connect with family and friends, share photos, videos but Twitter allow me to connect with the world, I can always know what's going on out there, and people share news, comments, new stuffs!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your ideas :),

    I felt the same for facebook as you do R., but for Twitter, I've just started to use it lately, so haven't experience things much, but from observing some of my friends or other ppl who use Twitter, I really feel that it is Geeky in a way... :))

    For example, our lecturer (Peter W.), who accepted himself as a Geek... well you can see that he mentioned Twitter more than other social media in the class.

    However, you can still say that regardless whether you are a Geek or not, you have equal chances of using Facebook or other social media. But that's just an observation from me :)

    Teacup

    ReplyDelete